Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Outlander

A few pages into this book & I was snoozing....but I kept reading because I hate leaving books un-read. Half way through the book I could not put it down, and began to think, what have I gotten myself into? I'm hooked...and of course it's a six book (soon to be seven) series. I will warn you to keep reading when it seems like it's a dud, because it does start off slow but the end is worth it! From the back of the book: In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war & reunited with her distant husband on a second honeymoon-when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an "outlander"—in a Scotland torn by war in the year of our Lord...1743. Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny is soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie & the forbidden Castle Leoch. She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lords & spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce & a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. I loved it mostly for the love story. It did take some getting used to the Scottish accent & some of the parts of the story were disturbing (they were pretty barbarian back then!) & some parts I could have done without, but that's with every book right? Overall it was really entertaining & I am already on book 2.

No comments:

Back to TOP