Sunday, February 22, 2009

Friday night I spent baking and relaxing. I made red velvet cake rounds for a friend of mine who just had a baby (her shower was Saturday). It was her 3rd baby and I figured she has gotten a lot of baby gifts so I wanted to give her a gift just for her! Plus she deserves the chocolate :) This is what they look like:
I made a two-layer red velvet cake from scratch. While the cakes were baking, I made the cream-cheese frosting. Here are a few fun pictures. I'll post the recipe later tonight.
After letting the cakes cool, I crumbled them into a big bowl and mixed them into the cream cheese frosting with my hands (this can get very messy!) After they were mixed in, I rolled them into quarter-sized balls and placed them on cookie sheets.
They need to be placed in the fridge or freezer for at least a half hour to set up. After they have time to set, I melted baking chocolate into a large bowl. When the chocolate melted into a smooth consistencey, I dipped the red velvet rounds into the chocolate and placed them on wax paper to cool. I then drizzled white chocolate almond bark on the tops of them. They turned out really good! Jay couldn't stop sneaking them from the kitchen...we'll see how he does weighing in this week for BL ;)
mmm yummy!
So I put together the cake rounds and completed her gift with a wine theme (she loves wine). I got her a bottle of chardonnay, some coasters with wine quotes on them, and a wine bottle stopper. I hope she liked it. I had fun visiting at her shower and meeting her precious Ethan...congrats Erin!! Saturday morning we went mini golfing at the new course at Mall of America....it was really fun! I'm usually not very good at ANYTHING we do together and I lose a lot...but the scores were pretty close this time. I think I got lucky. Saturday night we had another couple over and we went out for dinner to watch part of the wild game. After dinner we came home and played Partini. It was a fun game and we enjoyed ourselves and the company.
Sunday morning rolled around and we were ready for our Oscars competition! We had printed off official ballots from the Oscars website and voted on each category who we thought was going to win. Whoever lost has to take the other out for dinner this week at the winners place of choice. Of course who wins? Jay! He wins EVERYTHING! and he had no idea what he was doing, the only Oscar-nominated movie he saw was Slumdog Millionaire (fantastic movie by the way) so he picked them just about every chance he could....and if you watched them you know Slumdog Millionaire won about 7 Oscars. He only won by 1 but I'm still bitter ;) It was a fun little competition and it made watching the awards more interesting. By the way we thought Hugh Jackman was a great host and this years awards were much better than last. Here are our Oscar ballots...next year I'll kick his butt!

No comments:

Back to TOP