Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The ranch.

So this afternoon has been slow & I have been browsing home-decorating websites such as; martha stewart everyday living, better homes & gardens, country living, etc. (never a good idea, because they inspire way too many project in this crazy mind!) Anyways, instead of planning my next project it got me thinking about our "perfect" home.

I really really want to own a cattle ranch-I know-totally doesn't seem like me does it? But it's true, there's just something about the wide open spaces that make me feel free, yet work that keeps you grounded. Let's be serious though, cattle ranches are not given away free on the streets & we (barely) have two nickels to rub together. So while we'll never have the cattle, the ranch...now that's a whole 'nother story.

Let me backtrack for a second, because it's all about compromise. I didn't say I've always wanted a cattle ranch. Funny how things change :) I've always love love loved cottages. I lived in Europe for a summer with my family a few years back & we saw and toured so many breathtaking cottages in our time there. I swore to myself that one day I would live in an english cottage with my english husband. A year later I met my american cowboy! The song "guys like me" by eric church says it all too well:
I wear a greasy ball cap
I like my shirt untucked
I spend Saturdays working on my truck
I don't like to fight
But I ain't scared to bleed
Most don't mess with a guy like me.
'Cause guys like me drink too many beers on Friday after work
Our best blue jeans have skoal rings (gross)
We wear our boots to church
So rough around the edges
It's hard to believe
That girls like you
Love guys like me.
Any of you that know Mr. Man knows he's as american as it gets. He loves the farm/cabin homes with an earthy, worn feeling that you get from a good pair of cowboy boots. The kind with rustic interiors & wooden beams. Keep in mind your home is a reflection of who you are, & you should be very comfortable in it, so I knew we needed to compromise...I mean seriously, can any of you picture me on a horse? they terrify me & they smell. Plus you can't wear high heels while riding. That's how we came to the ranch (minus the cattle)-a little taste of cottage & a little taste of country=perfection! I still want the quaintness of the cottage & the land of the farm...& gardens galore, and a workshop where I can let my creativity flow freely without taking up the entire master bedroom or office. A few animals would be great! just nothing taller than me. We just want a small piece of treasure for us to nest in & raise our babies (God willing)-a place where they can run free. Here is a sample of the vision (as close as I could find) that came to mind. I love the path formed by years of running to & from the home. The color however, will not be red! (and if I get my way the outside will appear a little more cottage-esque ;) Hopefully at some point in our lives this dream of ours will come to life-whether it be in a few years from now, or when we retire. What does your perfect home look like?

No comments:

Back to TOP